Volunteer Fire Fighters
Lake Viking Fire Fighter Volunteers: Rusty Hendricks, Gary King, Tony Gronniger, Dennis Schlaiss, Riley Blades, Luke Threlkeld, Len Zalenski, Mark White, Mark Closterman, Anthony Dirks; Mike Booth (Board Contact).
Fire Fighter meetings are held the 2nd Saturday of each month at 9 a.m. at the firehouse in the association main parking lot. The sirens will be tested at this time. If you have the interest and the time to serve your community, be sure to attend the next meeting.
Here are a few tips to remember when burning leaves …
- Do not burn when winds are in excess of 15 mph.**
- Do not leave the area unattended while the leaf pile is burning. **
- Plan to burn on a vegetation-free, level patch of dirt no more than 4’x4’ and at least 50’ from any occupied dwelling. Try to find an area free of tree branches and power lines. [Please refer to the LV 2020 Handbook for Campground Rules]
- Burn piles increase the level of carbon monoxide in the air. Note: If you receive enough exposure this may reduce the amount of oxygen in your blood and lungs, especially if you suffer from a respiratory condition.
- Leaves should be dry. Wet foliage burns slower and produces more smoke.
- Light a small branch or sheet of paper with a match and place it among the leaves to ignite the pile. NEVER use fire starters or gasoline.
- Keep a garden hose, shovel, rake and/or fire extinguisher ready in case of an emergency.
- Douse area thoroughly with water when finished.
- If your fire gets out of control, call the fire department immediately!
- Consider using a burn barrel.
** Lake Viking 2020 Handbook Rules and Regulations