Call to Order
Board Pres. Marvin McNabb, lot 28, called the meeting to order, held in the upper level of the Clubhouse, at 2:00pm. Board members present were: Doug Winter, lot 46; Allan Slavin, lot 181; Celeste Armanees, lot 62 and Troy Lesan, lot 576. Not present were Mike Booth lot 2380, and George Eshnaur lot 505. Marvin McNabb led in prayer. Jeff Ferguson, Managing Director, led the Pledge of Allegiance.

Approval of Minutes
Troy Lesan made a motion to approve the November 2022 Board minutes. Seconded by Doug Winter. The minutes were approved.

Handbook Committee
Celeste Armanees reported: No report this month.

Finance Committee
Doug Winter reported: The Finance Committee met and reviewed Financial Reports. There were no surprises in the financial reports, as we are outperforming budget for the year. Our investments with Morgan Stanley have improved a bit the last 30 days. VVA Annual Dues & Assessments will have a proposed 9% inflation increase which is the CPI inflation index, assuming it gets passed by membership at the Annual Meeting in March.

Strategic Planning Committee
Doug Winter reported: The Strategic Planning Committee met & discussed their objectives for the next few months. Doug made a motion to add two new members to the Committee: Matt Nielsen lot 386, and Haley Wright lot 532, with Matt Nielson as Chair of the Committee. Seconded by Allan Slavin; motion passed.

Activities Committee
Celeste Armanees reported: No report this month.

Building Committee
Allan Slavin reported: In the past month, the committee has received & approved 6 Building Permits—2 of those for houses.

Fire Department
Tony Gronniger reported: The Fire Dept meetings are held on Fridays at 2:00pm. We are pleased to report that a group of First Responders will begin training on Jan. 23rd. Having these First Responders will enhance overall safety here at the lake.

Campground Committee
No report.

Lake Committee
Troy Lesan reported: No report this month.

Infraction Committee
No report, as the Infraction Committee doesn’t meet until spring.

Dredge Committee
Shawn Hepinstall (Chair) reported: At this time, the dredge is still broken down. Its pump will be repaired before year-end, as we want this expense reflected in the current year’s dredge fund. The dredge will remain at the north end of the lake where it currently is through the winter, as this saves the lake the $14,000 cost of moving the dredge to the Maintenance Area & then back out in the spring. Thank you to Will Salmon for volunteering his time and equipment assisting our Maintenance staff in pulling the dredge up onto dry land.

Restaurant Committee
Robert Walton (Chair) reported: Robert gave an in-depth report of progress made securing bids and gathering information on the possibility of a restaurant at Lake Viking. Some questions posed by attendees at today’s meeting: Who would pay to build a restaurant? What happens if the restaurant goes out of business? Will the restaurant be open to the public? Who will run the restaurant? What is the environmental impact on the lake? Will members have to pay an amount to support the restaurant? Board Pres. Marvin McNabb ended the questioning, stating there is just not enough information at this time to answer these questions, as we are very early in investigating our options on whether or not to have a restaurant.

Managing Director’s Report
Jeff Ferguson (Managing Director) reported:
–The newly formed Tech Committee has two new members–Scott Fatheree lot 3162, and Kelly Mathenia lot 45.
–The VVA Office is transitioning to Condo, a new software for HOA (HomeOwners Associations), with a go-live date of Jan. 3rd. Our conversion from QuickBooks Desktop to Quickbooks Online is also underway and has some challenges, because much of the information & formatting used in QuickBooks Desktop will not work in QuickBooks Online. So our Office staff is making the needed modifications to ensure functionality going forward.
–A tube has been installed in Community Area 20, so you can drive in the area.
–Multi-lot discount on VVA Annual Dues: Our new QuickBooks Online software in the VVA Office will only recognize land Deeds to qualify for the “multi-lot discount” if all your deeds are titled to the EXACT same name. As a hypothetical example, the 1st lot’s deed is registered as “Bob & Jill Doe, husband and wife”; a 2nd lot (owned by the same family) is deeded as “Bob Doe”; a 3rd lot (owned by the same family) is deeded as “Jill Doe”. This difference in owner’s name on the deeds requires the accounts be set up separately in QuickBooks Online, and thus the member will NOT qualify for the multi-lot discount that this same member received in years past, because the owner names going forward MUST be identical. The solution to this is to review your deeds and if all the owner names aren’t exactly the same, go to a Title Company to make the needed changes so your lots are consistently titled to the exact same owner name.

Approval of Financial Statements
Doug Winter made a motion to approve the Financial Statements as presented. Seconded by Troy Lesan; motion passed.

Guest Time
No guests were on the Meeting Agenda, as no one had contacted the Office to schedule time for the December meeting.

Board Discussion
Volunteer recognition: Sue Morris lot 331 was recognized by Allan Slavin for her service to the Lake Viking community. Sue volunteers for many Lake Viking activities including the monthly Women’s Luncheon. She prepares and delivers Meals on Wheels, and she volunteers at her church. Sue has served on the Building Committee. She can even be seen picking up trash as she walks around the lake, helping to keep it beautiful. Sue was presented with a gift card as a “thank you” for her service.

Allan Slavin moved to adjourn to Executive Session at 2:40 pm to discuss legal, personnel, and Board organizational matters. Celeste Armanees seconded; motion passed. Meeting was adjourned at 2:40pm.

Approx. 37 members attended, too many to list here. A sign-in Attendance Sheet is on record at the Office for reference.
Let the record show that these minutes are a record of the business transacted at this meeting and are a sampling of the discussions. Comments and discussions are not reflected in whole or as actual quotations in the minutes, nor do they reflect all comments by members.

Respectfully submitted,
Celeste Armanees
Secretary, VVA Board of Directors

%d bloggers like this: